-->

Update:

Updated 2 June 2020 - New blog post - A walk down Briton Ferry Canal

Monday 30 January 2017

RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch 2017 - Day 2

On Saturday I took part in the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch in Dan's garden. Seeing the RSPB added an extra day this year I decided to do another bird count today at my mum's house.

The weather wasn't great - cloudy, cold and showery. This didn't stop the birds coming though. This is what I saw...

Plenty of Starlings
How can you not like this bird with it's stunning colours?
A few Jackdaws made their appearance
One for sorrow? I hope not, just the one Magpie appeared in the one hour
This was a surprise! Two Pied Wagtails were flying in and out of the garden, I've only ever seen them on the road
There were Starlings everywhere, on all the roofs - I counted at least 24 at one point
A male House Sparrow...
...and plenty more Sparrows in the nearby trees
Plus a solitary Robin
Surprise appearance!

I happened to look up at see a pair of birds in the sky, at first I thought they were buzzards - but upon closer inspection I realised they were Red Kites! I have never seen them so near my house before, so I was ecstatic. I was a bit concerned on one of the tail feathers on one - they look very scruffy. So even though these birds wasn't in the garden, it was such a treat to see them :)

Red Kite with sorry looking tail feathers
The other Red Kite

Conclusion:

The Big Garden Birdwatch - 30/1/2016 - 11:11am
  • Starlings - 24
  • House Sparrow - 9
  • Jackdaws - 2
  • Pied Wagtail - 2
  • Magpies - 1
  • Robin - 1
Grand Total = 39

No comments:

Post a Comment