-->

Update:

Updated 2 June 2020 - New blog post - A walk down Briton Ferry Canal

Monday 1 June 2015

Day 1 - 30 Days Wild - Flowers in the rain


From June the 1st I will be taking part in the Wildlife Trust's 30 Days Wild. Where each day I will post in this blog something wild that have has happened to me on that day. Whether it is spotting a bird or seeing a flower or even watching bats - it will be all here.

 June 1st 2015 - Day 1 - flowers in the rain 

Hooray, the day is finally here! It's the start of the Wildlife Trust's 30 Days Wild. 

I woke up feeling excited like a little kid and could hear a lot of squawking coming from the garden, I glanced through the window and saw over 6 starlings and fledglings scoffing on the fat balls. I didn't have my camera at the ready, but it was a good start.

Unfortunately I had to get ready ready for work, so I pinned my 30 Days Wild badge on my rucksack, got my camera and hoped I would see lots of wild things on the way to work.

My 30 Days Wild pin badge :) 
The weather was dull, cold and rainy, so not the most enjoyable morning to walk to work...but this changed when I saw a beautiful striking yellow poppy and the bright pink colour of wild roses. We were also greeted by a fantastic little blackbird which my partner has posted on his Twitter account @danturner23
Yellow Poppy
Wild Roses
We were hoping the weather would improve by lunchtime, but unfortunately it was even more windier and left us asking the question "Is this really June?" - nevertheless we ventured down to the River Tawe to see what wildlife we could spot.

There were plenty of flowers: ox-eye daisy, sow thistle and clover adorned the banks, but no sign of any bees or butterflies - it was far too cold and the only birds that were around were Herring Gulls.

Ox-Eye Daisy
Sow Thistle
Lots of flowers on the banks of the River Tawe
Quite a disappointing start to June - it is still pouring down outside and the bird table has been empty for most of the day. The weather is not looking much better tomorrow, but will try not to let it get me down - come rain or shine I shall be going wild!

The miserable view from the window.
Filling in our chart for Day 1 


So this June, you too can do something wild everyday - Check out the link here

No comments:

Post a Comment