-->

Update:

Updated 2 June 2020 - New blog post - A walk down Briton Ferry Canal

Wednesday 10 June 2015

Day 10 - 30 Days Wild - Lunch with bugs!

Another beautiful day in Swansea and whilst walking to work it was interesting to see how much the rowen trees had flowered since day 2 - beautiful small white flowers now plastered them. Look at the pictures and see how different it looks after 8 days.

Day 2 - A rainy day and the rowen tree began to flower.
Day 10 - The rowen trees are now full of white clusters of flowers.
A close up of one of the flowers.
When days are glorious like this it is very hard to go to work, but seeing as the weather was going to continue we thought we would go for a nature hunt at lunchtime. So when the time came we walked across the River Tawe to see what we could find.

The River Tawe and the path on the right is where we were going to explore.
This is the path we walked on to see what we could see - It runs parallel to the River Tawe
The first thing we noticed were the array of insects everywhere - there are many wild flowers along this path and lots of bees were busy at work, Unfortunately my knowledge of bees is limited, but I am trying to ID each one and I saw at least 3 different species.

A bee on some clover 
Another bee that I need to ID...
...and another one!
There were quite a few butterflies around, including the Common Blue which kept still long enough for me to get a picture. There were also quite a few webs low on the ground, I tried to spot a spider, but could't see any.

A beautiful common blue butterfly
Lots of webs on the ground, but no sign of the spider - I wonder what spiders they are?
One of the highlights of my wild lunch break was stumbling across a bee orchid - This was one bee I could identify! I have never seen one outside a book before, but what a pretty little plant it is.

What a surprise, a Bee Orchid!
It's truly amazing what you can see in a short amount of time. Unfortunately my car is sick, so I will be without it for a while - but we are so fortunate where we live - just a stones throw from beaches, meadows, woodlands, forests, rivers and canals - we are spoilt for choice and also get fitter by doing a lot more walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment